Under the skilled guidance of immediate past President 'Doug St George', the club has undertaken restoration work of the 'antique' main gate and constructed an associated picket fence at the Historic 'Otumoetai Pa' Site, which is located at the beginning of Levers Road.
The council took possession of the 'Homestead block' site in 2004 from the owners who's ancestor Robert Matheson purchased the site from the Government in 1870. Over the years the Mathesons sold off parts of the 'Fairview Farm' they had developed but retained the homestead block at the eastern end of the Pa. The main gate gave access to the homestead block and is therefore a strong marker of an important part of Tauranga's past.
The council acknowledges that much of the early history of Tauranga revolved around this extremely important historic site and has subsequently undertaken much archaeological work to build a comprehensive record of it's involvement with the city.
Work continues to develop the Historic reserve as an attraction for young and old and our Guilds work in refurbishing the entrance to this beautiful place is a fine example of the craftsmanship within the club.