Under the skilled guidance of past President 'Doug St George', the Guild undertook restoration work of the 'antique' main gate and constructed an associated picket fence at the Historic 'Otumoetai Pa' Site, which is located at the beginning of Levers Road.
The council took possession of the 'Homestead block' site in 2004 from the owners who's ancestor Robert Matheson purchased the site from the Government in 1870. Over the years the Mathesons sold off parts of the 'Fairview Farm' they had developed but retained the homestead block at the eastern end of the Pa. The main gate gave access to the homestead block and is therefore a strong marker of an important part of Tauranga's past.
The council acknowledges that much of the early history of Tauranga revolved around this extremely important historic site and has subsequently undertaken much archaeological work to build a comprehensive record of it's involvement with the city.
The Historic reserve has been developed as an attraction for young and old and our Guilds work in refurbishing the entrance to this beautiful place is a fine example of the craftsmanship within the club.
The original concrete Pillars are complimented by a poured concrete strip beneath posts and rails for a traditional picket fence.
Guild members fixing pailings to the pre-painted rails.
Doug and Peter hang the first small refurbished gate.
And finally just like a bought one, the Main Gate is completed.
Doug supervising the hanging of the main gate.
Harry unofficially opens the refurbished small gate way!